HIM Career and Student Center
Health Information Management (HIM) is …….
- The practice of acquiring, analyzing, and protecting digital and traditional medical information vital to providing quality patient care
- A combination of business, science, and information technology
Health Information Management Professionals are experts in …….
- Managing patient information and health records
- Implementing and optimizing computer information systems
- Coding diagnoses and procedures in all care settings
- Maintaining patient confidentiality
- Collecting and storing information
- Using and transmitting information
A HIM career is right for you if you …….
- See yourself in a career that offers diverse opportunities
- Would like to work in healthcare, but not directly with patients
- Have an aptitude for science, but also like management, law, and computers
- Enjoy working with professionals: physicians, nurses, lawyers, administrators, and executives
- Want a career where you can choose to work on your own, with others, or some of both