Trauma Registrar Level 1
SSM Health St. Mary’s Madison, WI
SSM Health St. Mary’s is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. SSM Health St. Mary’s is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine’s three-year family practice residency program.
The Trauma Registrar Level I is primarily responsible for maintaining the Trauma Registry. This includes concurrent identification of qualifying trauma patient population, data collection through chart abstraction, data entry into the Registry, and validation to ensure accurate data reporting. The Trauma Registrar Level I will support the Trauma Registrar Level II in running basic monthly reports to support the Trauma Program’s Process Improvement initiatives Completeness and timeliness of this work is essential to meet organizational, regional, and state reporting requirements.
- Primarily responsible for maintaining the trauma registry
- Demonstrates proficiency in navigating the trauma registry to ensure accuracy and completeness of work and documentation within appropriate timeframes.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding, accurate interpretation, and knowledge of the standards that regulate trauma registry activities
- Completes daily analysis of medical records for trauma patients and determines eligibility for registry reporting.
- Maintains, utilizes and communicates current knowledge of regulatory agency requirements and standards, with regard to trauma care
- Performs queries for basic monthly reports from the trauma registry database.
- Utilizes various software systems (e.g. EPIC, Excel, Word, Power Point, Minitab) to perform analysis, graphs, and compile data and reports in format that is user friendly.
- Maintains collaborative relationships providers, agencies and internal departments.
- High School Diploma or equivalent with at least 1 year minimum college education with courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, and ICD 9/10 – CM coding.
- Must complete ATS or equivalent Trauma Registrar Course within 1 year of hire if not already obtained.
- A minimum of 1-2 years recent experience in health care related field (prehospital, hospital, physician office or managed care).
- Must demonstrate strong skills in the use of computers and software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Associates degree, AIS 2005, electronic medical record and computer software database experience preferred.
- Trauma registrar certification and/or AIS certification preferred.
- Trauma registrar experience preferred.
- Knowledge of AIS coding, ICD 9/10 coding is required
- Experience with data abstraction/collection and data entry preferred
- Demonstrates proven problem solving abilities and is accountable for assigned work
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy is required
- Demonstrates sound judgment, initiative, and ability to work independently with minimal supervision and balance multiple priorities to meet required deadlines
- Exhibits well developed interpersonal communication skills and interacts effectively with a variety of interdisciplinary team members
- Expected to meet Trauma Registrar Level II job requirements within 1 year of hire.
Compensation/Benefits market competitive.